Friday, January 6, 2006

My Take: What is Judy's Book Missing?

190 magnify
My Take: Judy's Book has attracted more venture capital - $8 million more .

But I just don't get it.

What competitive advantage is it counting on in its battle against Yahoo! Local?

I've been a Yahoo fan and user for 10 years. My Yahoo! Yellow Pages stares at me from my tool bar. My Yahoo address book allows me to connect to my friends. Yahoo has an active portal with piles of content.

So ...

- What will drive traffic to this upstart?

- What would compel users to submit reviews (other than free coffee)?

- What will create viral interest and growth?

- How does it connect with any of the natural factors that have been spurring word-of-mouth since the dawn of commerce? Quality products or services? Great customer service? Creative advertising?

- Are they adding proprietary functionality that makes it an attractive acquisition?

- And the really big question - where are these easy VC guys when you need them?

I like your spunk, Judy. But help me to see your unique value.

Good luck.

Friday January 6, 2006 - 03:03pm (EST)

0 comments: